Friday 28 February 2014

TIME WELL SPENT

TIME WELL SPENT:It worth’s all the effort.

      Wow!!! What a journey. It is 2 long years and I can’t believe it is coming to an end now. It was like a joke when I stumbled on the program at Walden online. I saw the Early Childhood Studies program with the specialization I had always dreamt about and wanted to do since I had already started a school. I had too many fears. I was uncertain if I could cope; my time was all choked up with so many engagements – church, family, business, school, and now an online program that I had no clue about how it was going to operate. I was unsure how to finance the program. I just knew that this is what I would like to do and I kept on. I had challenges along the way, but I kept the vision alive and today, after the stress of so many sleepless nights, the day is DAWN.

 It was not easy but it was WORTH it.

3 Lessons learnt.
1. I have learnt fully that every child that appears in my class is unique and comes to class with diverse issues that I need to pay attention to because they require my understanding, support and possible necessary action. 
2. Teaching in the early childhood classroom is not just babysitting. It is serious assignment that requires continuous learning and professional development. I must be a lifelong learner to be able to combine research and practice for improvement.
3. I can be the change that I want to see. If I can develop the passion, identify others who can help join to solve the problem, and I take a lead in the vision and collaborate with others then, change is possible.
Long term goal.
As my long term goal, I look forward to being part of UNICEF and work to secure funding for quality teacher education and continuous development. Government may not be able to train and retrain the teaching work force, if we do not work together to conduct training.

Farewell:
     I appreciate all the people that made it happen. The faculties at Walden and all of my colleagues, we formed a formidable Community of Practice. I enjoyed the discussion forum, our interactions and feed backs that made the work rich and my learning exciting, and all the blog postings. Thank you for being there and cheering me on, even when it looked dark and unclear, your trust and encouragement gave me the needed push and strength. You are all fantastic people.
May you be blessed always and find fulfillment as you pursue your life’s goals and dreams. May be somehow somewhere in the world of early childhood, we will meet; it will be a great privilege. Keep on serving, be the voice for the voiceless and let us bring on the change. Remember, there is  no more time, It is NOW.


3 comments:

  1. Mercy,

    It definitely has been a remarkable journey, and I feel fortunate to have shared it with you and the others. You are quite right when you say "we formed a formidable community of practice", and I just want to add that I hope we continue to collaborate with and support each other as we continue on our individual paths. Thank you for every word of encouragement; for every experience you shared; and most of all for your dedication to our field and the children it serves.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mercy,

    I totally agree with you that the journey has not been easy but it was worth it and fulfilling. And of course you made my learning richer and insightful through your contributions - thank you. I wish you good success as you move up the ladder of progress in ensuring children's lives are impact positively. May the Lord bless and reward your labor of love towards children, their families and the society at large.
    Thank you once again and all the best!

    Adesoye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mercy,

    This has been a remarkable journey filled with challenges and triumphs. I walk away enlightened and filled with relief this journey is ending. Good luck on the path you choose and may you continue personal growth by serving all you meet in the future. Take care and wishing you all the best.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete